On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

Thursday, March 22, 2007

New apartment and address

As much as I love my landlords and this current apartment, I have to move because my lease is up. I did manage to find a nice place near the Musik Hochschule. If you want to mail me after March 31, here's the new address: Geeta Abad Brahmsstrasse 11 32756 Detmold GERMANY I no longer have the same home phone number, either. But my cell phone/mobile/handy/however you call it will remain the same as it is now. We recorded for nearly seven hours yesterday. We = Ensemble Sarabande, a student-formed baroque group that was started by Eric, a half-Spanish, half-German violinist who studied at the Hochschule. The players are all good and enthusiastic musicians. I played one concert with them and then Eric asked me if I'd be around in March to record some Handel pieces for a CD. The Hochschule's sound engineering institute is one of the best in Europe, so we were able to use really good equipment in a professional setting. I think the CD is going to sound fantastic. Although it was difficult at first (and still often is), I am really enjoying playing baroque music with a period bow. It is liberating because you can create proper articulations with greater ease and the resulting tone is more pure which suits the music better. The difficulty, though, is intonation; a pure sound will surface any faulty intonation, so intervals have to be as balanced as possible. Tiring as it was, I was happy to have played with the group.

No comments: