On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

Friday, November 4, 2011

Sound Opinions is worth a listen

I just wanted to put in a plug for the podcast/Chicago Public Radio show "Sound Opinions"(http://www.soundopinions.org/). It's been around since the early 90s, but I discovered it only recently. The hosts, Jim DeRogatis and Greg Kot, are seasoned rock critics and writers, and are eloquent, well-informed, and have interesting and diverse musical tastes. I don't always appreciate some of their selections as much as they personally do, but I always end up learning something from the show that sparks my own creativity. Jim and Greg discuss the music industry from both business and artistic perspectives, review old and new artists' current releases, invite guest artists to perform and give interviews, and also provide listeners with informative rock history lessons. They discuss bands that came way before my time but pioneered sounds and movements to which I can nevertheless relate. Does anyone know of a good show or podcast like this for classical contemporary/new music?  

No comments: