On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

Friday, April 27, 2007

The Russians

I once read that death claims in three. Rostropovich was one of the greatest musicians, cultural/political activists, and mentors the world ever saw. I implore you to read this New York Times obituary if you don't know much about this amazing man: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/27/arts/music/27cnd-Rostropovichcnd.html?pagewanted=1&_r=3 Yeltsin was the first president of the Russian Federation, or modern-day democratic Russia after the Soviet Union broke up. He served from 1991-1999. My memories of him are mostly the images that flickered across Peter Jenning's ABC News Tonight. He led Russia during a difficult time (post-Soviet Union) and that took a great deal of courage. Frederika's grandmother was a very intelligent woman. She was one of the first ladies in university to have studied science (she was a prominent physicist) and she also spoke four languages fluently. I didn't know her personally, but I find it amazing that she made significant advancements in areas that did not welcome women easily. Rest in peace. Thanks for everything. In other news, I'm just busy with chamber music rehearsals and my routine. The weather has been a blissful 75-80 F everyday (22-26 C). I'm heading to Amsterdam tomorrow for three days to visit Nick and observe the happy celebration of Queen's Day in the Netherlands. Apparently there are millions of flea markets all over the streets and everyone gets quite drunk. Hmmm. Should be fun. I leave you with a quotation by Rostropovich. In an interview with National Public Radio from 1987, he said: "My mother carried me for 10 months. I tell her, 'Mother you have extra month, why you not make for me beautiful face?' And mother tell me, 'My son, I was busy with make you beautiful hands."

No comments: