On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Prufung

I finally feel as though a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I passed my Chamber Music entrance audition to the Hochschule yesterday, which basically means that I secured a place in the program for the next two years. Since October, I've been in somewhat of limbo; not knowing if I would stay here longer or not. With the added stress of my Aufenthaelterlebniss (residence permit) expiring on March 31, I really needed to get my Bescheinigung (acceptance letter) in order to submit the proper visa paperwork. It was quite the accomplishment, too, as my poor pianist was stuck in Berlin the night before from a delayed flight from Korea - she had to wake up at 3 AM to take a train and get to Detmold by 8 AM (thank goodness the Deutsche Bahn didn't screw this one up or someone would have lost an eye...). She showed up looking ready as ever, with a pretty grey business suit and heels; her hair was even curled! My quintet also played really well. It's a shame that we've got to stop playing together soon, as Ella will move back to Poland come February 16. At first, I didn't think I'd be writing those words, but after 6 months together, we've started to click as a group. I think this phenomenon of 'finally clicking' in chamber music is why I love it so much. It just doesn't work unless the group learns to move, think, and express as a total unit, and what's more satisfying is often the journey to arrive there. We watched the film K-PAX tonight, with Jeff Bridges and Kevin Spacey. Not only is the film extraordinarily moving, but the music is perfectly set - sort of ambiance/trance styled with piano and electronic mixing. I highly recommend it. Detmold has been beautiful lately, with ample sunshine and not so cold. It's certainly enjoyable weather but is also a bit disconcerting, as we are only in February now and it should be winter. Global warming *sigh* 6 hours of orchestra tomorrow (argh) and more to come for the rest of the week, not to mention my first time properly handling a baroque bow. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: