On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

Saturday, December 9, 2006

What do you with Italian wine, Belgian beer, American Christmas decorations, and French crepes?

Have a party, of course! We had a fantastic holiday party here last night; about 20 people came and it was super international. At one point, people were speaking German, English, French, Dutch, Spanish, Polish, and Turkish in the room...a real "WTTW/PBS" sort of scene. People arrived around 8:30-9 PM and stayed until about 2:30 - just drinking, talking, meeting one another. And someone paid me the most wonderful compliment - "Only an American could organize such an international party where everyone gets along." Diversity is our strength, I suppose :) Otherwise, everything is great here in Detmold. Every day that nears Christmas becomes more beautiful - one more house is decorated with candles and lights, and the streets seem to glow. I've noticed that the house decorations here are more elegant - none of the cheesy colored lights and kitchy 'Santa riding on a sleigh' scenes that you often notice in the U.S. People use plain white lights, mistletoe, holly, and candles in the windowsills. Last Wednesday, Dec. 6 was St. Nicholas' Day, or the day when Germans believe Santa Claus comes to their houses. Traditionally, Germans and many Europeans preferred to celebrate Santa Claus before Christmas day so that the focus of the actual holiday was Christ and not the gifts. In our modern times, Germany is actually the 'least religious' country in all of Europe, in terms of figures of church attendance, etc. This is according to a BBC report I read...although I think that to judge how many people practice a faith is absurd. It's such a private thing! How can we determine whether someone else really believes in their faith or not? I played my first gig here last Wednesday evening. It was in neighboring Augustdorf; I was a member of a small chamber orchstra accompanying a choir. We played a contemporary piece by one of the singers in the choir named Dietrich Gahanz (it wasn't all that bad), and pieces by Franck and Saint-Saens. I was even offered two more gigs for this coming week, but unfortunately had to refuse, as I'll be in Chicago. Bummer. It's good to know that there's some work out here, though. I saw a violin concert last Thursday of the 3 Brahms violin sonatas, 1 of the clarinet sonatas on the violin, and the E Flat Mj. viola sonata on violin. The five performers represented each professor here (Mathe - mine, Rizzi, Fischer, Kufferath, and Christian), and they were all fantastic. I was teary by the end of it because when you're feeling a bit homesick (as I had been that day), Brahms has a way of drawing out one's inner most emotions, especially those that are difficult to deal with in the present. It's worth the tears to listen. I also had my last violin lesson until January, and it was fantastic. Frau Mathe is a vegetarian - she has been for the past 15 years. We are kindred spirits that way :) I am looking forward to coming home in one week, although Chicago is quite cold now - compared to our 45-50 F weather here in Detmold, that is. I wish it would snow here, though. Cold or semi-cold weather is only acceptable to me if it's beautiful, and honestly, winter rain isn't all that aesthetically pleasing. This coming week, I have lots of Schubert Quintet rehearsals, little errands to run, an apartment to scrub, and packing/list-making to do, not to mention the usual practicing and German lessons. It will be busy, but satisfying, as I like closure before I travel somewhere. The little things in life :)

No comments: