On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

This is my first Thanksgiving away from family and from America. As a matter of fact, this is my first Thanksgiving during which I didn't celebrate anything...or so I thought. In the past, Thanksgiving has always been about food and family. No matter how much grade school teachers tried to inspire us with this story of pilgrims and native Americans and how they sat down in peace to a beautiful meal (well, it depends on who you ask and what the definition of peace is according to the native Americans or the pilgrims!)...no matter how many macaroni necklaces and autumn colored construction pieces of paper we used in classroom projects...it came down to the grub. This year, I haven't eaten anything special (except a delicious piece of cheesecake, courtesy of my landlords...almost as good as Eli's!), haven't been surrounded by family, haven't donned a sari or spent hours arguing/mixing/baking/feasting with my siblings. I didn't anxiously wait in Logan Airport for my flight home to Chicago during which I'd inevitably run into another GBN grad somewhere along the journey. American football might as well be a universe away from me right now. I haven't even been to a supermarket to see turkeys (or tofurkey, for that matter) or pumpkin pie, and I don't know of any place where cranberries are sold in Detmold. But considering everything I've "missed out" on, I feel more thankful this Thanksgiving than I think I ever really have before. Being far away from everything that is familiar makes you think about what you really value in life. Today, I received an extended stay grant from the city of Detmold until July (or until my student visa is processed, which will happen way before July). My American friend here, Annie, also received the same grant. We were so nervous the past few days about if we'd be able to return after the new year to Detmold. After numerous phone calls to the American embassies and even the German Consulate in Chicago (thank you SKYPE) things are finally starting to work out for us. I'm more thankful for this than any amount of food could make me feel. So everyone...in between your bites of food and conversations with family or during football game commercials, take a moment to thank the universe for what you have. We are truly blessed. Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: