On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

On a journey: East Berlin, Germany

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Menuhin, Swarovski, and a tribute to a dear friend

It has been a bit of time since I updated here, my apologies! I am busy now, having started lessons, studio classes, and chamber music rehearsals full swing. There have been parties and other social events that have introduced me to more people, and so now I feel like I've much more settled than before. I played in a studio performance class yesterday, and it was really amazing - there are many talented violinists in our studio, and everyone is so nice. I think, though, that the best thing was when Frau Mathe´(my teacher) said, "You really bring this piece to life, it breathes when you play it." (I played Ysäye's Ballade Sonata) To be told that by someone whom you respect so much is more than a compliment...it means the world! I didn't play perfectly - of course there were missed notes and some screwy rhythms, but it was overall a solid performance. I also had a funny experience with a cordless phone I bought last week. I opened the box yesterday and found no actual phone inside! All the other parts, yes, but not the phone. I thought, eh, maybe this is how Europeans do it (ahem, weird)...but maybe not. I took it to the shop this morning and the salesman was really embarrassed because apparently it was the display model he had sold me and had forgotten to take it from the window. He gave me a Swarovski crystal decorative piece to hang on my cell phone in exchange for his blunder...a bit too girly, as it is pink and sparkly, but it was a cute gesture on his behalf. I also watched Star Wars, episode 4 last night with my friend Frederika. I think Star Wars is an international phenomenon. Thank you, George Lucas, for uniting mankind :) More than I can say for the other George (Bush). Another bit of news that has been difficult lately to stomach is the passing of a dear family friend, Anil Kalke, or Anil Uncle as I know him. His son, Amaeya, was one of my good friends all through middle and high school - they were really close to our family. Grief is especially difficult when you don't have the nearness of family and friends to share it with. But I am thankful for the good friends I have made here - they were so sympathetic and comforted as much as they could. His passing reinforced the importance of family to me...no matter where you go or how far apart you might be, nothing can replace a family. My family is often in 5 separate corners of the globe, but we manage to stay very close-knit. I am really thankful for that. I only wish that someone's passing didn't have to remind me of my gratitude. Halloween comes next week...I wonder what children dress up as here. I will probably buy candy for trick-or-treaters...my first time doing so, as in Boston, it wasn't like any kid was going to ring the bell (which was broken anyhow!) of my student-infested apartment building. I feel old, not trick-or-treating myself. I am reading a great book, too - Yehudi Menuhin's autobiography, An Unfinished Journey. Perhaps it is his deep connection with Indian and Indian culture or the warmth in his words...or his violin playing which words really do no justice to. But I have always felt a deep sense of awe and connection with him. His book is more of an acknowledgement to the people who shaped his life, rather than a recollction of everything he had done and seen. Above all, I think that Menuhin's humility is what strikes me the most about him. Arguably one of the greatest violinists of all time and not a hint of ego. And such an idealist! He writes, "Perhaps the knots left uncut, the briefs unmarked and the ramparts still standing should teach an artist to modify the scope of his aspirations. I have never resigned myself." Just beautiful words. I strongly suggest this book to anyone, musician or not. Take care, everyone - bis später (till later)!

No comments: